The Magical Properties of Witch Hazel in Witchcraft
Updated: February 12, 2023
Witch Hazel is native to eastern North America and eastern Asia. Its folk name ‘snapping hazel’ relates to the tendency of the seed capsules to explode upon maturity. While the name ‘winter bloom’ came from its ability to be one of the first trees to bloom each year.
Associated with the Sun and the element of fire, this herb is a lovely sight in many landscapes. In herbal tradition, Witch Hazel is a famous material when crafting a divining rod. A divining rod made out of the forked branches of Witch Hazel is used as a guide in finding water or gold.
For some cultures, horses were protected by wearing hazel breastbands in their harnesses and double hazelnuts were thrown at witches. Hazel rods were also used to mark cattle particularly during Midsummer and Beltane fires to keep faeries away.
Many modern witches use Witch Hazel leaves and bark to keep away the evil eye and heighten occult powers. Witch Hazel is a popular personal hygiene and skincare product. Its protective energy shields witches against faery bewitchment, hexes, and harmful spirits.
Witch Hazel has an admiring versatility that witches refer to it as one of the most magical herbs. It can be worn to dismiss overwhelming emotions and cool the passions. Witch Hazel is an effective material for love spells and provides excellent aid in matters of the heart by healing a person’s broken heart.
Witch Hazel Correspondences
- Planets: Sun, Saturn
- Sign: Aries
- Element: Fire
- Energy: Masculine
- Deities: Horus, Bast, Apollo
Magical Uses of Witch Hazel
- Banishing: Witch Hazel can be used as a wand or in rituals to banish negative forces, especially baneful magic spells from other witches.
- Healing: To send healing to anyone who needs it, witches can use branches and flowers of Witch Hazel to make healing poppets.
- Protection: The protective quality of Witch Hazel can be used in sachets or protection spells to repel evil spirits that might harm a modern witch.
- Love: Witch Hazel is a very admirable herb that can be used in love spells and rituals to heal the broken and aching heart.
- Prophetic Dreams: To easily connect to the angelic and other realms, Witch Hazel can be used in sachets or essential oils.
- Reduces Itching: Witch Hazel is thought to help reduce itching and swelling caused by allergies and other bacteria.
- Varicose Veins: Herbalists believe that Witch Hazel tightens the veins and reduces pain by strengthening the blood vessels.
- Cures Swollen Eyes: It is believed that Witch Hazel has anti-inflammatory compounds that combat the swelling or puffing of the eyes.
- Reduces Acne: Witch Hazel is believed to be an astringent that helps in balancing oil that may cause breakouts and blemishes.
- Soothes Burns: Herbalists believe that Witch Hazel is a great aid for soothing skin and scalp burns.
Witchcraft & Witch Hazel
Witches can perform several rituals to dispel non-physical influences. To start a banishing ritual, make a wand by binding branches of Witch Hazel and use it to ward off all these negative forces and spirits with harmful intentions. You can also make an incense using dried Witch Hazel and put it in your altar and let its smoke turn away every negative there is.
Every witch does everything to fight against spells and hexes that may cause them physical and emotional harm. For physical healing, use Witch Hazel products to give your skin a glowing and healthy appearance. Stuff a healing poppet with Witch Hazel leaves and flowers and dress the poppet with healing oils to let its energy bring healing powers to your life.
A witch can wear anything she wants to protect herself, but harmful spirits can still flood her sacred space and most especially, her mind.
To bring the mighty protection of Witch Hazel to your home, keep Witch Hazel’s petals, seeds, and twigs near your altar or on your bedside or carry a sachet with dried Witch Hazel flowers for its protective energies.
Wearing masks and other protective gear may not be enough to keep yourself secured from harmful things. White Sage is also a powerful protective herb. Wear a horn full of Sage to protect you from the evil eye or burn it to dispel negative energy that may bring bad luck or illnesses to your home and family members.
Witch Hazel has vast divinatory and magical energies, but one of its most well-known abilities is to connect you with the higher realms. One simple way is to use Witch Hazel seeds in spells to communicate with other realms.
Open your heart and mind to receive prophetic dreams and messages by indulging in a bath before you sleep or dressing your spells candles with Witch Hazel essential oils.